Applications are invited for the position below:
Job Title: Commonwealth Youth Climate Change Network (CYCN) Coordinator
Duration: Twelve (12) months
Job Field: Federal Jobs
Period: 1 November 2020 – 31 October 2021
Commonwealth Youth Climate Change Network (CYCN)
- The Commonwealth Youth Climate Change Network (CYCN) is a network of young climate leaders and youth-led organisations leading climate action. The objective of the network is to build the capacity of young people in their endeavours to address climate change and other environmental issues, advocate on climate change from a youth perspective. The scope of the network extends to environmental sustainability, oceans and marine life, natural resource utilization etc.
- The CYCN supports actions that empower young people to translate climate change programmes into effective policies that have a measurable impact on youth well-being. It also links projects implemented by its members across the Commonwealth in order to develop common actions and campaigns. CYCN advocate within national and local governments, and globally as well. The Network endeavours to make climate change a top priority for young people across the Commonwealth and to engage them as key stakeholders in addressing the threat at grassroots, national and regional level through individual and collective sustainable solutions.
- CYCN is searching for their next Coordinator to support the passionate leaders of the executive team. We are inviting applications from young, highly resourceful and suitably qualified individuals who are familiar and passionate about growing and advocating for Climate Change and environmental sustainability across the Commonwealth.
Key Deliverables & Responsibility:
- The main role of CYCN Coordinator is to coordinate and spearhead the Commonwealth Youth Climate Change Network’ key operational functions.
Key Responsibilities include:
- Oversee the regular management of CYCN and the logistical arrangements of the Network including supporting the Executive team and their initiatives in their region, convening regular calls or direct mentoring and support;
- Enhance Commonwealth youth participation in climate change, blue and green solutions and economy by co-ordinating their engagement and increased visibility in policy discussion and meetings at the Commonwealth and United Nations level;
- Strengthen the global advocacy and campaigns of the network, convening capacity building trainings for youth climate leaders, research and thought leadership on emerging priorities for youth-led climate action across the Commonwealth;
- Support the mainstreaming of youth perspectives in the Commonwealth’s work on all climate, environment, green and blue sectors and working with the Commonwealth Secretariat as is necessary on these areas of work;
- Form, support, engage and manage a young, diverse and active Executive Committee;
- Support the strengthening of communication, partnerships and collaboration with the Commonwealth Secretariat, Commonwealth Youth Council (CYC), Commonwealth Youth Networks, and other stakeholders as directed;
- Increase visibility, outreach, inclusion and membership of CYCN;
- Join and contribute to Commonwealth Youth Forum International Taskforce in delivering the policy agenda for Commonwealth Youth Forum and CHOGM;
- Maintain frequent and consistent communication with the assigned staff(s) from the Commonwealth Secretariat managing the network, this includes ensuring regular updates of the network’s work and also sharing of opportunities and announcements to all members of the network.
- Be aged between 18 to 29 years at the time of application;
- Be a citizen of a Commonwealth member country;
- Have a strong commitment to CYCN’s vision and mission;
- Have strong experience in Climate Change and Sustainability
- Be available to commit 18 hours per week to network activities.
Compulsory & Desirable Skills
- The candidate should possess excellent administrative and people skills, ability to coordinate/support meetings, write publications, policy papers, support research and thematic policy areas
Project Management & Implementation:
- The candidate should be able to commit the time required, at ~18 hours per week
- Possess project management/project delivery skills, support partnerships development, implementation track record, build stakeholders/network relationships & strategic planning
- Candidate should be able to demonstrate resourcefulness
- The candidate should be able to demonstrate his/her network in the relevant space
- The candidate should also to account and share for the skills to grow a community and network, beyond personal networks.
Compulsory Characteristic & Personality
- The candidate should demonstrate commitment and perseverance
Diversity and Inclusion:
- The candidate should be able to show interest and past experience working in diverse teams and on diversity and inclusion matters.
- The candidate should be able to show exemplary people management skills, be able to build relationships and be the liaison between the commonwealth Secretariat and the Executive team of the Network.
- The candidate should be organised, diplomatic and emotionally intelligent.
- The selected candidates will work remotely and will receive a monthly stipend.
- A nominal honorarium will be provided for this role
Application Closing Date
15th October, 2020 23:59 Hrs (BST).
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Do note that the form will require you to upload documents but not limited to the following:
- A cover letter outlining your experience
- 1 reference letter from a reputable and relevant referee
- Contact details to your reference