We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Consultant on Course Director for Protection of Civilians (POC) in Armed Conflict Course Centre for Strategic Research and Studies National Defense College Nigeria
Location: Abuja, Nigeria
Post Level: National Consultant
Job Field: federal jobs
Type of Contract: Individual Contract
Duration of Initial Contract: 5 Days
Expected Duration of Assignment: 5 Days
Additional Category: Democratic Governance and Peacebuilding
Starting Date: 12-Oct-2020 (date when the selected candidate is expected to start)
- Violent conflicts in many countries of the world and particularly in Africa have continued to increase both in complexities and numbers. This violence which are mostly due to lack of good governance and citizens inability to access essential services of life have resulted in political instability, wanton destruction of lives and property, mass displacement of the civil population and destruction of key development infrastructure. Citizens displeasure is often ventilated through violent extremism, radicalization, and violent mass protests.
- The upsurge in the level of criminalities and violence around world has engaged the attention of the United Nations Security Council (UNSC) and necessitated the engagement and deployment of UN-mandated peace missions to protect life and property, ensure peace and stability, and guarantee internal security with the attendant needs for effective national capacities in protection of civilians, promote civil-military relations, prevention of violent extremism and deradicalization, camp management, amongst others.
- The reality to build and strengthen mass capacities of military and para-military forces, civil security agencies, non-governmental organizations (NGOs) to respond to the global and domestic needs of peacemaking.
- The project aims to enhance the capacities for Peace Support Operations (PSOs) in West Africa through training conducted by the Centre for Strategic Research and Studies, National Defence College (CSRS / NDC).
- The project output is “Regional capabilities for multi-dimensional PSOs for military, police and civilian personnel improved.
Duties and Responsibilities
Objective of Consultancy:
- The Course aims to build participants’ capacity to implement Protection of Civilians (PoC) mandate in PSO. It will enhance participants understanding of the threats and vulnerability of civilians in conflict zones and how to respond and address their protection needs.
- The PoC Course will improve the understanding of participants to the diverse roles of different components in contemporary PSO environment through capacity enhancement.
- The role of the Course Director is to assist participants assimilate the course learning outcomes in preparation for deployment into multidimensional PSOs under United Nations (UN), African Union (AU) or ECOWAS mandate.
- The Course Director is expected to achieve these through facilitation, personal examples, advice, guidance and tutoring. The one-week course will cover the following 8 modules vis a vis Concept of Protection of Civilians (PoC); Legal Dimensions of PoC in AU / ECOWAS PSO;Gender Perspectives in PoC; Child Protection in AU / ECOWAS PSOs; Detentions in AU / ECOWAS PSOs; Humanitarian, Negotiation and Mediation in PoC; Other Special PoC Considerations (post-conflict reconstruction, media, community engagement, electoral assistance, small arms and light weapons); and implementing PoC in the Field (Mission Perspectives).
- Prepare participants and guide discussions in relation to the aim of the PoC Course and the learning outcomes of each module.
- Guide participants to understand and practice Carana throughout the Course.
- Ensure that all participants remain focused on the tenets that all components in a multidimensional mission must strive to achieve. These include communication, coordination, cooperation and consensus among all personnel.
- Facilitate lecture activities and syndicate discussions and where appropriate, provide additional guidance and examples to support the discussion and module objectives.
- Where requested, to present central modules and participate in central panel discussions as a subject matter expert.
- Engage course participants in conversation during course breaks and social activities about various experiences in PSOs. Answering questions and encouraging participants to discuss among themselves.
- Attend Course Directing Staff review sessions to analyze course progress and offer suggestions to improve the Course content and conduct for current and future PoC Courses.
Outcome / Output Deliverables:
- Assessment of Participants’ performance during the course.
- Plenary and break out syndicate training of all participants for deployment in an integrated and multidimensional PSO.
- Building networks among different components for smooth PSO.
- Pre-course evaluation.
- Post-course evaluation.
- Detailed course narrative
Contract Conditions and Payment
- The daily consultancy fee based on agreed deliverables shall be paid by the UNDP upon successful completion of the Course and submission of the consultancy report.
Management & Reporting:
- The Course Director shall work under the direct supervision of the Course Sponsor who is the Provost, Centre for Strategic Research and Studies (CSRS), National Defence College (NDC). The Course timetable shall be prepared by the Course Director for joint review and approval by CSRS, NDC.
Duration and Venue:
- The conduct of the course shall be for 5 days, from 12-16 October 2020. The Course Director shall arrive 2 days before commencement and depart a day after the completion of the Course. The venue will be the CSRS, NDC.
- Demonstrates integrity by modelling the UN values and ethical standards
- Promotes the vision, mission, and strategic goals of UNDP
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability
- Treats all people fairly without favouritism
- Excellent analytical and organizational skills
- Management and Leadership
Excellent Interpersonal Skills:
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude
- Demonstrates strong oral and written communication skills
- Demonstrates capacity to communicate effectively; capacity to plan and organize programmes effectively
- Demonstrates resourcefulness, initiative and mature judgment
Required Skills and Experience
Qualification and Experience:
The preferred candidate for this consultancy must possess:
- At least a first Degree in relevant disciplines in the Social Sciences or Humanities preferably Peace and Conflict, Political Science, Law or International Relations.
- Candidates must also possess at least 10 years cognate experience in training and facilitation of PSO related courses.
- A minimum of 7 years’ experience in the workings of AU/ECOWAS and mission experience working under UN, AU or regional missions Other experiences include excellent knowledge of PSO, especially that of the AU.
- Training and Coordination of a multidimensional integrated AU/ECOWAS PSO Missions with emphasis on working together in integrated manner in AU / ECOWAS mission
Evaluation Criteria, Language Requirements and Payment Terms:
- Minimum of a first degree in Social Sciences or Humanities preferably Peace and Conflict, Political Science, Law or International Relations – 25 points
- At least 10 years’ cognate experience in training and facilitation on PSO related courses) – 40 points
- 7 years’ experience in the workings of AU / ECOWAS and mission experience working under UN, AU or regional missions – 25 points
- UN or international organization experience – 10 points
Application Closing Date
6th October, 2020. (Midnight New York, USA)
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.
- UNDP does not tolerate sexual exploitation and abuse, any kind of harassment, including sexual harassment, and discrimination. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks.