We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Head of Connectivity and Access Public Policy
Location: Nigeria, Remote
Job Type: Full time
Job Field: Manager Administration/ Office/ Operations
Africa Public Policy team is seeking a new Head of Connectivity and Access Public Policy who can lead its ever-increasing connectivity engagements across Africa. Candidates must be passionate about connecting Africa’s unconnected and utterly convinced of the critical role connectivity plays in driving the continent’s socio-economic development.
The successful candidate will have a superior understanding of the challenges to broadband connectivity in Africa – availability, affordability, relevance and readiness. They must also have a strong track record of shaping connectivity policy across Africa in partnership with governments, the private sector, civil society, academia, and international development organisations.
Facebook is intent on working with partners to improve Africa’s ICT infrastructure, helping to increase and improve access to broadband internet. We’re seeking to build on the existing investments we’ve made on the continent that are helping millions connect. Applications from candidates with a track record of working on the physical roll-out of infrastructure projects are highly encouraged. Excellent written and oral communications skills are essential, as are analytical skills, substantive experience working across and/or living in Africa, and extremely high levels of diplomacy.
The culture of Facebook, one that reflects the diversity of people, ideas and beliefs of our Community, is one of the keys to our success. Facebook’s Africa Policy Team prioritises this, and it’s seeking someone who will bring their authentic self to work everyday, displaying an unshakeable belief in Africa’s future, that of its people, and the role use of Facebook apps has to play in it.
This role is full-time and will be based in Nigeria. Travel is 60 – 70% of the time.
Head of Connectivity and Access Public Policy Responsibilities
- Support the development of Facebook’s connectivity policy positions
- Provide policy and regulatory guidance to Facebook teams working on connectivity infrastructure projects in Africa
- Identify, monitor, and analyze connectivity policy issues affecting Facebook at the Africa regional and country levels
- Lead the development of Facebook’s submissions to African governments’ consultations related to connectivity policy, legislation and regulation
- Advise Facebook teams on public policy matters in order to guide the development and roll-out of products, services and infrastructure
- Develop and sustain effective working relationships with African policymakers, as well as representatives of the private sector, CSOs, academia and development institutions
- Represent Facebook in meetings with key stakeholders across Africa, including bilateral and multilateral fora
- Contribute to research that supports evidence-based ICT policy development
- Represent Facebook in all media, including on screen, radio and print
- Bachelor degree in Law, Development Studies, Economics, Public Policy, Technology, Engineering or a related field
- 8+ years of public policy experience in the field of Information Communications Technology (ICT)
- Experience working and/or living in multiple African countries
- Excellent judgment, communication and persuasive skills, creativity, perspective, and passion
- The ability to work with minimal supervision in a dynamic environment
- Excellent written and oral communications skills
- In-depth knowledge of public policy issues related to ICT Infrastructure development
- Superb written and oral communications skills (writing samples required)
- Fluency in both written and conversational English
- Fluency in an African language e.g. Kiswahili, Hausa, Pidgin, Wolof, Xhosa, Yoruba, Kenyang, Lingala, Shona, Twi, Ga
Application Closing Date
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Note: Facebook is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application procedures. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us at: email@example.com.